Meeting Mrs. Powell

Avalyn Flores, Author

During the pandemic we were introduced to a new norm, with a new norm brought a new counselor for WOHS.

Mrs. Michelle Powell was hired to be a counselor for students at the high school. Many have not gotten the chance to meet Powell, so I decided to catch up with Mrs. Powell during her busy week, and was fortunate enough to ask her a few questions. 

Below are some questions to get to know our new counselor:

What do you do outside of work that helps you maintain a healthy, well-balanced life? I try to start my day off right by working out each morning. I also have a supportive family. Together, my husband and our three boys love being outdoors…anything from biking, hunting, fishing and even spending time out on the water skiing and kneeboarding. We love to travel and play board games.

What made you want to be a counselor? I was the high school counselor’s aide when I was in high school. I wasn’t necessarily a troubled kid, but I always found myself talking with her. She helped me with my college applications and scholarships, but most importantly she helped me through a rough patch I had my senior year. It completely changed my course of life for the better. I wanted to be what she was to me for students of my own someday. I still keep in touch with my high school counselor today through social media. She is the reason I am a counselor today.

How long have you been practicing? This is my fourth year as a school counselor. I have been a counselor at every level, but high school is my absolute favorite!

How long have you worked at West Oso? Surprisingly to many students, I am sure, but I have been at WOHS since April 2020. I started just two weeks after the COVID pandemic hit.

What is your favorite part of being a counselor at West Oso? I love how welcoming everyone has been. From the minute that I started working for WOHS, I felt I was a part of the Bear Family.

* All of these questions were answered directly by Mrs. Michelle Powell.

We at West Oso High School are truly blessed to have Mrs. Powell actively working alongside us, ensuring student’s high school and life after high school’s success. It is a dramatic time in life, and we need mentors and trusted individuals, Mrs. Powell has demonstrated both of those traits. 

Thank you, Mrs. Powell, for being a true bear. You have been a light during this dark time, and we are BEAR-y appreciative of you. 

“Be the change you wish to see in the world.” – Mahatma Gandhi, is one of Mrs. Powell’s favorite quotes, which many have witnessed, she is doing just that.