New Entryway Creates Curiosity

Safety Concerns.  West Oso High School is getting an improved security entry way to battle potential intruders and COVID 19.

Xavier Martinez

Safety Concerns. West Oso High School is getting an improved security entry way to battle potential intruders and COVID 19.

Abigail Gonzalez, News Writer

West Oso High School, with our recent construction of the Administration building, is now building a new addition to the school’s entryway.   It will be very similar to the one built in the new Administration facility. Principal, Terry Avery, stated  “The district has decided, for safety reasons, to build an area where students can enter but can’t come into the main building without being buzzed in.”

As Oso’s student population grows over the years, a security entrance is needed. But due to this pandemic there won’t be as many students in the school so it would be helpful for the school, if there were to be an intruder, the new addition to the school would help.

How it would work is that in the mornings, the only entrances to the building will be the two front side peripheral doors and the very front of the school. When entering the school staff would have to take the students temperature then wait to be buzzed in.

Avery recited “Its to keep out intruders and for safety. It’s all about safety. With the tragedy at Columbine it kind of raised the consciousness of the nation but in the little cities, new schools are being built that are outside of the school zones.”