Jalen James Returns to the Game in Style

Alaejah Reed, Editor

It had been three years since Jalen James played in a football game.  Now, in his last year of high school, the basketball and track athlete added football to his West Oso resume.  The Bear’s football program is glad he did.

James, a senior this year, has been the talk of the West Oso High School football program since he decided to play back in August. He was awarded the Offensive Player and Overall Player of the Game when the Bears Played the Taft Greyhounds on September 4, 2020.

Consider this.  James had never played a single game of high school varsity football before this year. A significant amount of people were very surprised that he decided to participate in his last year of high school.

The seniors kept begging me and I thought, it’s my senior year, let me see how I do.

James said.

James’ stats this year prove that he has a natural talent. He was named the Caller-Times Athlete of the Week in October and has flourished ever since then. However, he stated that he:

For sure regrets not playing all four years. If I played a lot more, I would be even better.

according to James.

An athlete like James would be nothing without a superb support system. Vonda Henderson, James’ mother, was the driver of that support system.

My mom, just because she’s pretty much my mom and my dad.  She motivated me.

Jalen also says that

I thank my mom for most, but there are other people in my life who support me as well

As a senior, college is right around the corner for James.  He would like very much to continue playing football in college.  A different sport than he would have mentioned last year.

My dream is to play sports in college. I’d probably play football because of my performance this year

said James.

There are still two more sports to go for James this season.  He is now into basketball, and track season is not far away either.  Only the future will tell what type of college athlete he will be.